Welcome to ethNYcity
The 2010 Global Cities Index ranked NYC as the world’s top global city. At a time when technology has connected the entire world, New York’s large and diverse immigrant population coupled with its global influence make Metro New York one of the most strategic places at the most strategic time in history to “make disciples of all nations.” Consider this…
- If the members of unreached people groups living in Metro New York were collectively counted as a city, they would form the second largest city in the United States.
- There are over 2 million Jews in Metro New York, which makes up the 2nd largest Jewish population of any Metropolitan area in the world.
- There are over 800,000 Muslims in the New York City area. This means that 1 out of every 10 Muslims in the US live in the New York City area.
- Over 400,000 Hindus live in Metro NY with very little Gospel witness.
- NYC is home to some of the best universities in the US including Columbia University and NYU. Over 50,000 international students and scholars, many from unreached people groups and least evangelized countries, come here to study every year.
- There are over 650,000 Chinese living in Metro New York–the largest number of Chinese in the Western Hemisphere.
- Queens is the most ethnically diverse county in the US and half of the people in Queens were born in another country. Around 60-65% of NYC is foreign-born or children of foreign-born.
- Approximately 800 languages are spoken in NYC making it one of, if not the most, linguistically diverse cities in the world. Over 48% of New York residents speak a language other than English in their homes.
- NYC serves as the American hub for East Asians, South Asians, West Africans, Caribbeans, South Americans, Russians, and others.
Trends indicate that by the year 2030 over 75% of the world’s population will live in major cities. Because cities are the influential centers, the effect of ministry to unreached people groups residing in these cities goes beyond the borders of the city into the world. The world’s demographics continue to change as people groups migrate and move into foreign international cities. Many of these people represent the influential thinkers and policy makers of their nations and networks. This gives us a wonderful opportunity to reach people with the gospel who can have a powerful voice to their own people and in their native lands. Enter into ethNYcity and enter into God’s plan for the world!
People Group of the Day
Filipinos in Metro New York
Place of Origin: Philippines
Location in Metro New York: New Jersey (Greenville, Jersey City, Bergenfield, West Bergen, Edison); Queens (Woodside, Elmhurst)
Population in Metro New York: 300,000 (Community Estimate); 196,524 (ACS 2010 Filipinos who selected Asian Alone as race); 149,396 (ACS 2010 Born in Philippines)
Population in New York City: 74,882 (ACS 2010 Filipinos who selected Asian Alone as race); 59,347 (ACS 2010 Born in Philippines)
Primary Religion: Christianity (Roman Catholic)
Secondary Religion: Christianity (evangelical); Iglesia Ni Cristo
Status of Christian Witness: Greater than or equal to 5% evangelical. Less than 10% evangelical.
Primary Languages: Tagalog, English,
- Filipinos are now the 3rd-largest Asian group in Metro New York, behind Chinese and Indians but ahead of Koreans.
- According to the 2000 Census, Filipino households in New York City earn far more money than any other large immigrant group.
How To Pray: Pray that the Filipino church will use their cross-cultural skills in missional endeavors. Pray that Filipino wealth will fuel Kingdom efforts instead of materialism.